With COVID-19 cases rising across the world, it’s mandatory that we take all possible precautionary measures, especially while stepping out! One such vital step is to cover one’s face using a mask. However, some people prefer comfortable home-made masks rather than the “unbreathable” three- or five-layered ones.
In this article, we will discuss two ways of how to make a face mask out of a t-shirt. It will be a two-layer one made out of a cotton t-shirt that can help you breathe more comfortably, while preventing any virus-carrying respiratory droplets. We will discuss two methods of making a DIY face mask from an old t-shirt.
In this method, we will show how to make a face mask out of a t-shirt without sewing. Before getting started, try to take a t-shirt that’s 100% cotton to avoid breathing difficulties. Moreover, the masks made out of it will be soft and washable.
Take your t-shirt and lay it on the surface.
Measure and cut out a 16-inch long cloth.
Next, cut out a 1-inch thick strip from the bottom of your t-shirt. Cut along the entire length to get a long strip, which will be the strap of your mask. Now cut out one portion of the long strip to make two free ends.
Take your cloth cut-out and place the two ends of the strap 4 inches from the two edges. In this position, the loop of the strap will be on one side, and the two free ends will be on the other.
Now, bring together the edges of the cloth and wrap it around the two strips. Make sure to overlap one side over the other since we are not sewing them.
Your query on “how to make a face mask out of a t-shirt” is solved! To wear your comfy DIY mask, first put the loop behind the upper back portion of your head. Then pull the free ends and tie them behind the lower back portion of your head. Make sure to cover up your nose and mouth properly.
If you ask “how to make a face mask out of a t-shirt sleeve,” here is an easy process for you. It will hardly take 10 minutes. For this method, you simply need a pair of scissors, a ruler, and any old t-shirt you want to upcycle. Then follow these steps -
- Cut off a t-shirt sleeve at the armpit along the seam. However, the sleeve should be big enough to cover your mouth and nose.
- Then cut out a 1-inch-thick strip from the bottom of your t-shirt. Run your scissors all the way across to cut-out a fabric loop.
- Cut through the loop, and now you have a long strip of cloth. It is for the strap of your mask.
- Place the cut-out sleeve on the table with the seam in the middle, facing upwards.
- Now, slide in the strap at the two ends of the sleeve. Also, leave a loop at the top, which will go behind your head.
- Your DIY mask is ready. Arrange the loop behind the head and pull the free ends of the straps to tie it backward.
These are the two best solutions for your search term, “how to make a face mask out of a t-shirt”, that too, without requiring any stitch work!
You may like it: How do you plop your hair with a t-shirt